Monday 11 August 2014

Photoshop: Layers + Layer masks. (WK 4)

 Layers are a useful photoshop tool and layer masks are equally as useful. Using different layers I was able to merge one photograph with another. This first image is an example of this, the two photographs have been placed one on top of the other and the opacity turned down so both are visible. It's simple enough, but the effect is very different. In the second image I used layer masks. The layer mask allowed me to do something similar as what I did to the first, but then allowed me to make only part of the second image visible. As you can see on the second image, the pattern that overlays the photograph, is only visible on his hands and face.

For this photograph I used basic editing in photoshop. The layers allowed me to see exactly what I'd done and possibly delete them if necessary. Editing a photograph in photoshop instead of camera raw made the changed I'd made immediately visible in the layers panel. This is somewhat better than camera raw in the sense that I don't try and do the same thing twice. All I did with this image was brighten it up a little, altering the levels, curves, vibrance and hue/saturation.

This image is another example of using layer masks. When I used the layer tool to make the image black and white it immediately created a layer mask. I was then able to erase the black and white area that I wanted to be in colour, in this case, his jacket. It is definitely a simpler way of adding some colour to a black and white photo and certainly a lot quicker than using the marquee tool and going around the entire section you want in colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment