Monday 11 August 2014

Manual Mode Practice. (WK 3)

Close crop portrait:
ISO 100. F/8.0. 1/100


Portrait + a wider background:
ISO 100. F/8.0. 1/100


The rule of thirds practice:

ISO 100. F/6.3. 1/60

Bernd and Hilla Becher inspired photo:

ISO 100. F/25.0. 1/100
Patterns:

ISO 100. F/8.0. 1/100

ISO 100. F/8.0. 1/100
Manual or 'm' mode provides the most freedom when taking photographs. Practicing with 'm' mode was both frustrating and rewarding at the same time. Using 'm' mode isn't always easy and I've gained some insight to how to use my camera from just toying around with it and taking spur of the moment photos. Each of the techniques above weren't overly hard to achieve, but it was finding the right settings that put me off for a while. I had some bad luck with over and under exposure and it did put a damper on things, but the photographs that resulted from me learning from my mistakes were better than I could've hoped for.

Compositional techniques:
-Image 1: I wanted him to fill the frame, I wanted to show the way he was leaning, but to have the focus on his face. I also wanted to show part of the tree to help seperate the almost solid white of the sky. The triangle the way his arm is positioned.
-Image 2: I wanted to show a wider angled shot of him and the white dog, however the two dogs were racing in and out of the frame making it hard to get one next to him. I wanted to show the contrast between the colour of her white fur and his jersey. The tree was also another part I looked at, I wanted it to be central with the two figures in front of it. The way the black dog is angled makes the photograph kind of awkward.
-Image 3: The rule of thirds practice, it was easy to use these little flowers and position them on one of the rule of thirds lines, the yellow colour stands out from the background as well, making it easier to see what I was trying to accomplish.
-Image 4: The Bernd and Hilla Becher inspired photo. There were some specifics that I wanted to include in this image when I took my impatation photo.
 * No people.
 * Isolating of the structure.
 * Flat light.
 * Central subject.
 * Straight on vantage point.
 * Central vantage point.

No comments:

Post a Comment