Wednesday 22 October 2014

Week 4: Sara Orme visit and Experimentation.

Contextualise:

What genre does their work fit into? What sub-genre?
-Editorial, documentary, retail.
-Creative, fashion, commercial.

What ideas are working within their photography?
-In terms of her personal ones, her connection with the people really works and helps create a better feel to the images. There is warmth in those images and a real bond between photographer and model. Working with distant relatives and documenting them growing up has worked well and it reflects well on her more society based images. Her personal projects show a lot of personality and they let her show more creativity. There are no set guidelines and she works well within her own style.
-In terms of her work based photography, they're fun, even when there are certain things she has to do within the photo shoot there's still that flair to her work. I love the running and movement. I like that she doesn't let the confines of what others want prevent her from producing such amazing images. I know that sometimes there isn't much she can do about what her clients want, but she makes it work by adding in little things, coming up with ideas on the scene and working with the environment around her rather than fighting it.

How do you as the viewer respond to the photographers images?
-They give me a little hope, the images are fun and bring a smile to my face. I do love how the models look like they're having a good time, they aren't restricted or being imposed on. It doesn't look as daunting of a task. I like her personally ones a little more than the commercial ones, if feel like there is more emotion there and more of a connection with the people.

Experimentation with movement:

ISO-100
F/8.0
1/320

Evaluation:

It was fun getting my model to move and run, probably not so much for him, he didn't want to run and complained the whole time. But it was an interesting experiment and certainly not as simple as I thought it was going to be. The timing had to be right and I wasn't so successful with that. The first photograph has captured him in motion, but I didn't get the framing quite right. In the other two I caught him moving away from me, both near and far and with the same foot up in the air. My shutter speed was quick and because of that I was able to freeze him in motion. I like photographing motion, I've had a little practice with cars at the track. I find it a little easier to frame it up correctly when you aren't so close to the figure so I think this was something that I needed to adjust for this experiment, as he ran past me he came close enough that it was hard to get all of him in the frame at one time. I think I'll have to practice a little more in capturing people in movement, it's not as easy as it looks but with the right camera settings it shouldn't be too difficult to focus on the framing and where I'm standing in terms of how close he'll have to be to come past me.

No comments:

Post a Comment