Sunday 19 October 2014

Digital Technology Two (WK 3) Self Directed Task.

Think about and answer the following in terms of your portfolio project:

What were you thinking about when you made this work?
- I was thinking about ways to make my model feel more comfortable. I wanted them to feel okay and less pressured when I took their photograph. I was also thinking about different places to photograph them and how the weather would affect this.

What was going on in the world and did any of these events influence you thinking at the time?
-I'm actually not too sure. When using the tethered shooting, I wasn't thinking about much else, I was more concerned with trying to get the program to work properly, so that took a little more concentration than what it should have. When I photographed my friend, I had a lot more to think about, the lighting, the pose and whether or not it would fit with my previous photographs. I also then had the distraction of what we'd been talking about because we used the chance to catch up, so I guess I probably could have done a little better without the distraction of those thoughts and up coming events.

What photographic genre (and subgenre) does your work fit into?
- It's leaning more towards fine art, there is a little bit of portraiture in there too as I want to include more of the faces of my models. I had wanted to give it a more documentary feel, but I'm leaning away from that because of the ways in which I want my models to pose.

Who are your photographic influences? What photographic genre do these photographers fit into? What ideas or techniques do you take from these photographers into your own work?
-Sally Mann is probably one of my biggest influences. Her photographs are documentary based, but they're also very personal, so they do have a more intimate feel to them which is what I'm going for. With some of her photographs there's also a bit of mystery, you are't too sure what's going on or the relation of the figures in the photograph.
-Welead Beshty is another photographer I looked at, he shoots film and in the developing process exposes it and creates some weirdly coloured images. It's not always the images themselves that are interesting, it's the way he's exposed them to make them a little more unusual.
-Marti Friedlander, I liked her self portraits and it was the inspiration for my experiment with tethered shooting. Her documentary styled portraits were simple, but I really liked them. I liked how the entire image was in focus, but especially her hands and camera. The focus on detail, it was what I was looking for when doing my research into the smaller details.

Are you influenced by artists working in other disciplines? (eg: film or painting)
-I've looked at other fields when doing surface research. A lot of my pinterest involves, designers and painters as well as photography. I haven't really researched anyone in particular, it was just a way to get ideas, for poses and light and little things like that. I did take another look at the portraiture video and other ones similar on youtube to see the way painters portrayed people. I looked at mostly pose and where the figures hands were in the artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment