Saturday 18 October 2014

Research: Marti Friedlander.

Self potrait, Paris, 1972.
Marti Friedlander was the photographer that inspired me to experiment with tethered shooting and use myself as a model. I understand that this was taken with a film camera, but what I liked was the detail in the camera and her hands. I haven't taken an exact photo like this one, but I have used the tethered shooting program to take photographs of myself in a similar fashion. For my own photographs I focused on my hands and what they showed about my personality. I used hand gestures to focus the viewers attention on certain parts o the image. I liked the idea of using myself as it is rare for me to be the subject of any photograph and with the anonymous feel to the images, it's hard to guess that it is me in front of the camera. I really like the contrast in this photograph, which is making me consider using black and white and creating a contrast of similar fashion. The contrast helps add to the detail. I like the lack of objects in the background as well, with the wide depth of field if there was much else it would be a distraction, but because it's quite empty the viewers left to focus on the figure and the detail there. Something I would've done differently is her arm disappears off to the left of the image, but that's just being a little picky about detail, as there's detail lost in the blackness there.

No comments:

Post a Comment