Sunday 19 October 2014

Research: Portraiture.

I've been researching portraiture from the beginning and found a few links that I thought were interesting. The first one, here, has some beautiful close ups, from the head and shoulders up that focused on the detail in the models faces. The lighting in the images is soft, for the most part, and bring out the details in the faces of the models. The highlights that accentuate their faces is something that interests me and I wonder if I could accomplish something similar with natural light. I think the photographer was in a studio, just by how directed the light is.


This link, takes you to a page where the artist mixes design and photography. It is quite an amazing portrayal of portraiture in the form of ink in water. There is a lot of texture in the photographs and the composition in which the artist used is certainly different. I like the angles the photographer has used when he merged the two together. The faces look almost like smoke. This kind of presentation is different and certainly interesting, I'd like to have a go and trying to create something similar.

The photographs in this link are nothing too unusual. The models look almost statuesque, but there is  a lot of detail and texture in the face. The lighting is what really stands out. Taken in a studio, I like some of the more direct approaches and the shadows they create across the faces of the models. The lighting isn't always the norm and for that the images are a little more unique. What doesn't really work for me is the expression's on their face or lack of. They don't give much away in terms of who they are and what this means to them. I'd like to be able to see a little more about them, to feel like I know something, but with these, I don't get that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment