Tuesday 29 July 2014

Aperture: aperture priority (AV) (WK 2)

Aperture priority mode allows the user to control the aperture, the camera will automatically adjust the shutter speed in this mode.
f 1.8

f 22
(ISO 100)

As shown above, the aperture on the lower end of the spectrum (f 1.8) only had the figure in focus, whereas the second picture on the complete opposite end (f 22) had focus on things that were in the background as well. Adjusting the aperture allows the photographer to focus the eyes of the viewer. In the first photograph it is obvious what the focus is meant to be as the background is completely out of focus. In the second photo however the background in focus creates a distraction and draws the eye away from the figure in the center.
The second image is out of focus most likely because of camera shake, I was holding the camera and I suspect the shutter speed was not fast enough to eliminate this factor. I probably should have used a tripod to eliminate the camera shake, but I did not realise until I'd uploaded my photos to bridge.

1 comment:

  1. You have made some valid comments Jayde. Just watch out for your shutter speed when shooting at higher Fstops. I suspect the softness of the second image is because your shutterspeed was under 1/60th sec. You could use Bridge to look at the metadata of this image to find out.

    ReplyDelete