Sunday 27 July 2014

Shutter: Bulb function (WK 2)

3", ISO 400
I had fun playing with the 'bulb' function in manual mode. I chose the hallway because of the low lighting and rather deep shadows. All I did was hold my hand in front of the lens for part of the three seconds before removing it which is what created a 'ghostly' look to the photograph. I definitely like this shutter technique, it can help make an otherwise boring photograph seem a little more interesting to look at.

I really liked the bulb function and went back and played some more with it. Some photographs worked and others didn't. I had a light on behind me, and even when I blocked it off a bit, I still had images that were too bright. My camera had a lot of trouble focusing in the dim light, so I had to let some in and then everything looked a little over exposed. I had the ISO set at 400 for the first three and then turned it down to 100 to see if that made a difference. It made a little bit of a difference as you can see, the final image isn't as bright as the rest. I also had some problems with camera shake, which is extremely visible in the first photograph. I should've used a tripod, that would've eliminated the camera shake and made taking the photographs so much easier. I unfortunately, didn't have a tripod with me. The images themselves are marginally successful, I like the one of my legs, it actually looks kind of cool. I think a larger aperture would have made a difference as well. I had quite a narrow one to try and darken the image a little bit.


 ISO 100/400
Bulb
F/7.1



No comments:

Post a Comment