Sunday 28 September 2014

Portfolio Week 1: Kingsize Studios Field trip.

Just a little bit about Kingszie and my experience:

Kingsize studios is a must visit for new and pro photographers alike. I looked at the website before going and was surprised by how interesting it all sounded. When we actually visited the studios and got to look around and talk to the people there I realised how much of a really good idea it was. Kingsize studios offer just about everything, from cameras and lens's to studios. I really liked the outdoor studio, I'll admit it was one of my favourite of the studios. I like the idea of having all the benefits of working in a studio while working outside. It was a lot more relaxed outside, like there wasn't as much pressure and I could work in that kind of environment. Inside, it was a lot more formal. The studio with the skylight was amazing, the light was perfect for almost everything. They had the option of closing off the skylight and making it a 'normal' studio. The studios, were spacious and not as intimidating as I thought they were going to be. Their website is definitely worth looking at.

http://kingsize.co.nz/

Kingsize inspired experiment:

I did a little experiment of my own involving different kinds of light. One was with natural light and the other a bright fluorescent light. These two lighting tests were both beneficial for my portfolio as well.

ISO-200. F/1.8. 1/125

ISO-200. F/1.8. 1/125
In this photograph I used the natural light coming through the window I was sitting next to. I like the softness of this light and the gradual shift from light to dark which is easily visible on the skin of my hand. I also like the contrast between the colour of my skin and the colour of the bedspread behind my hand, even in shadow, there is a line between the two colours. What I don't like is how soft this image is, I was trying to focus on the ring on my finger, but in doing so, much of the hand is out of focus as well.

In this photograph, I used a bright fluorescent light behind me to light the image. I don't like this photograph as much. I think the light is too bright, almost harsh in some places. There's also the background, I wasn't as focused on what was in the background or what colour it was for this test, when I probably should have taken this into consideration. I don't like this hand gesture as much either, I think the first one works better within the image. I do prefer the natural light approach and all it took was adjusting one setting at a time to get the light looking almost perfect. I've decided to use similar light, probably around the same time of day, for my test shoot for my portfolio. This little experiment was helpful in the fact that I could look at the way the background effected the photographs as well as the light I used.

Portfolio Test Shoot:

This is one of the photographs from my test shoot with Kieran. I had him sitting in front of a window which provided enough light that I wasn't going to lose too much detail in the shadow. I do like this image, I like how the shadows vary across his skin and that what he's working on is almost completely in focus. I also like the fact that when first looking at the image you aren't quite sure what he's doing. There's a little mystery in the photograph. What I'm not so sure about is the background, there is quite a lot going on, but as it's all out of focus it's not as much of an issue as what it could be. I like how cool the lighting is in this photograph, you wouldn't guess that it was afternoon light. It looks more like morning light. Another thing I do like is that there aren't any hugely bright colours to distract you. The colouring in the photograph is very neutral and the only real colour is the blue light made by the light and white paper. I'm not sure if I'll use any of the images from this shoot. I want to give it a more personal, intimate feel and I think if I'd included part of his face then I may have accomplished that kind of feel, but I'll see what my other photo shoots bring and if I can work it in there then all the better.

1 comment:

  1. Can you include some of the images from your test shoot for Portfolio incorporating what you learnt about natural lighting in these experiments?

    ReplyDelete